Monday, October 29, 2012

Static.






"You're hurting me."

We should've quit while we were ahead.

This can't be the real world.

We're screaming and I'm still smiling and you're sinking and we won't let go of each other. We can't stop apologizing, because we never meant to hurt anyone.

We're staying in bed all day. We're in high school. We shouldn't be in bed in the first place.
But when I woke up next to you I felt immortal. And the Gods can stay in bed as long as they want.

I never knew I could be invincible like that.
And I never knew how much I wanted the earth to quake. 

Just to prove that it can.
Just to prove it isn't all in my head.  

I want the walls to come down and the streets to cave in and I want us to stay in bed.  Me and you in the morning light and I don't care if we're the only thing left standing. We can live forever.

Because I feel like the only people who really understand us are the kids learning arithmetic in the 1903 school, and that place has been abandoned for years now.

When did we get so old? When did we start watching presidential debates and when does it stop. I've never loved like this before.

When did I give up learning how to do the splits? I can't remember that. 

You're too young to be broken and I'm too young to be shattered and we're all too old to be perfect.

 War of the Worlds is going on inside my skin. 
My heart and my mind and my soul and my blood are at battle. And they're too stubborn to make alliances even if they're all in love. They're going to kill me. Because my head stopped telling my heart to pump my blood and my soul would die of loneliness without this body.

I can't see through the static. I can only feel you. I can only hold you. And I think I'm going to be ok.

 This isn't reality.

Because I can't taste the salt in the ocean and maybe that's because it's 698 miles away. But I think it's because it doesn't exist.

Just don't let go.

Name. Address. Number of scars.  Parent Signature Required.

X_______________________________________________



esther.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I'll start with the ending. The ocean is fake and then the signature. So good.

    The presidential debates line is too true. The abandoned school is beautiful and makes me think about our class.

    When did we all give up trying to do the splits (you make me want to be a better writer).

    And the war under your skin. Freak, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to prove that it can.
    Just to prove it isn't all in my head

    This post is insane. In a good way.

    ReplyDelete