Sunday, September 16, 2012

About a Boy

Sorry, am I supposed to be writing about love?

Because I've been sitting here for a while, trying to write about "love."

All I know about love is ________.









Try, try, try again.

Secret Love. Hush, my darling. I won't tell-and she won't tell either. Hush, my love. It isn't about you, it never was. It's about my secrets. Our secrets. Tell me the last time you thought about suicide. Tell me about the last time you saw your dad. Tell me everything, and I'll give you secret love.

Lustful Love. When you told me you hated your knees. "I know," I said. And you kissed me because that's the only way I know how to say I love you. And that's the only way you know how to say it back.

Salty Love. Drops of sea water and sunburns and saying goodbye. Those are love.

Coexisting Love. "I HATE YOU," we say. Because we're teenagers. We are supposed to hate our parents. To scream things like "GET OUT OF MY ROOM," and "YOU'RE RUINING MY LIFE."

Silent Love. The things we never talk about. The songs we sing in the shower and the people we watch in the hallways.
Just because we haven't spoken in four years doesn't mean you aren't mine. You will always be mine. Can you read blogs in heaven, my silent love?

Great Love. 3 children and a house on the east coast. Whatever happened to T-Vo and Skip-its, at least they knew what it meant to be loved. One hit wonders and flannel shirts. Sentence Fragments.

Great Love is a seven year old autistic boy who gets bullied by 2nd graders because "his brain is weird."

Great Love is screaming.What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Where the Heart is.

Great Love is being able to quote you. "I wish we were somewhere no one knew us. We could just be us. And we could just be together."
  

Esther.

10 comments:

  1. Your writing makes my legs fall asleep. I could quote all my favorite lines, but I don't really have that kind of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was perfect in an imperfect way. I love this. I'm trying to pick which line to steal... it's taking a little while.

    "And you kissed me because that's the only way I know how to say I love you. And that's the only way you know how to say it back."

    Consider it stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And you kissed me because that's the only way I know how to say I love you." love this line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd cry, if i weren't sitting in a computer lab full of people who only know me for my outsides. I'd cry if my head hadn't locked away my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that Leonardo DiCaprio on the Titanic? Because I love him.


    I like the quote. "I wish we were somewhere no one knew us. We could just be us. And we could just be together." I'm stealing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "at least they knew what it meant to be loved. One hit wonders and flannel shirts. Sentence fragments." don't know why, but I love this. you are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy flippin' freak! Oh my!!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous (in the bind boggling term)!!!!
    "Just because we haven't spoken in four years doesn't mean you're not mine." Un-freaking-believable!
    Amazing talent. I wish I knew who you were so I could shake your hand. And just smile at you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you will always be mine. can you read blogs in heaven oh

    ReplyDelete