Monday, September 24, 2012

Fear: a summary






I could sit here and my fingers would start to ache-bleeding out all my fears. And I could tell you my strange phobias and you could laugh.

But you're scared of reading things that are longer than 5 sentences.

So I'm going to tell you something, and then you can leave.

I'm afraid of football.

That's it. You can leave.
I mean it.

Because football is mean. Football doesn't give you a break. When you fall down football kicks you once, then screams, "GET UP YOU COWARD." And when you try to tell football no, he kicks you again. "What did you say to me..." says football, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

You're complicated, football.
You have these rules that I don't understand.

Football, you require physical touch. And I'm still a child when it comes to "that sort of thing."

People cheer for you, and people scream for you. Football-you have people on the sidelines, aren't you afraid of them? Because I am.

And mini-skirts scare me almost more than you do, football. 

Girls wear your jersey, football. But only so people think they have boyfriends. None of us actually do. But you're the one who took them all. You already know.

Football, if you had a Facebook page your relationship status would read "unable to commit."

Football you're full of boys. Stay away. Go sweat and bleed and harass someone else for a change.

Football you take the romance out of movies and the love out of sex and the boys out of men. You've taken everything. You took our innocence, football.

I hate you, I think I always have.

Football you're a stupid metaphor, but you scare the hell out of me.



Go ahead, tell me how much you hate this.
Esther.

12 comments:

  1. Actually, I think that this is a really cool post. I like how you can read it on more than one level. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: You have really good voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Football, if you had a Facebook page your relationship status would read "unable to commit."

    This line.

    And this one:
    Football you take the romance out of movies and the love out of sex and the boys out of men.

    So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont like footbal ether..... i like laccrosse:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not easy to write something good about football (I know from personal experience). The worst poem I ever wrote was a football poem I wrote in college.

    I don't want to talk about it. It was written in ALL CAPS. I don't want to talk any more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes you think! Can tell you put time into this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Football, if you had a Facebook page your relationship status would read "unable to commit." Stole this line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Football you take the romance out of movies and the love out of sex and the boys out of men." stealing this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people think football turns boys into men. I love this; "Football you take the romance out of movies and the love out of sex and the boys out of men."
    It's viewing it in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never thought about football this way.Ill be thinkin about this post everytime I watch a game now...crap. But this was cool, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was a good metaphore.still trying to figure out what it is...but its deep. i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shit I'm speechless. And I talk too much so that doesn't happen often. I wish I could write like this.

    ReplyDelete